|OFERTA||RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Research Engineer)|
DATA DE PUBLICACIÓ
DATA LÍMIT PRESENTACIÒ OFERTES
EMAIL ENVIAMENT CV
DESCRIPCIÓ DE L'OFERTA
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Number of positions available: 1
- Expected start: March 2021
- Temporal Position. The position is for 36 Months (approximately)
- Gross Annual Salary package: 24.000 - to 31.000 € (depending on experience and skills)
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
ICRA looks for a qualified and enthusiastic research engineer to work in the iWAYS project, a research project funded by the European Commission (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/958274) and carried out by ICRA together with approximately 20 European institutions, coordinated by the University of Modena. iWAYS is a large collaborative project (total budget >10M€) that aims to recover energy, specifically heat, and reduce water abstraction in several industries. It is fully devoted to researching and implementing circular economy practices.
Specifically, ICRA is responsible for developing an approach to reduce water abstraction in the steel pipe manufacturing industry together with the end-user Tubacex and other collaborating partners, whereby the core technologies for water recovery will be membrane distillation and steam condensation. ICRA will coordinate design and assembly of pilot facilities that shall be shipped in the second half of the 4-year project to the industry partner located in the Basque country. ICRA will coordinate the process integration of the water recovery technologies in the design phase and will also participate to the field testing (start-up and results evaluation, mainly). ICRA will also have contributions to the broader objectives of the project such as the establishment of conceptual frameworks for the implementation of heat and water recovery in a variety of industries.
The research engineer contracted will be coordinating and implementing most of the technical project tasks allocated to ICRA. The contracted researcher will also coordinate communication and collaboration with the partners. Hence strong communication skills will be a valuable asset for the research engineer. He will also assist ICRA’s project office and his supervisor Dr Wolfgang Gernjak in preparing communications to the project coordinator, specifically regarding progress reports that are required for progress validation by the European Commission and the project coordinator.
Hence, we look for an passionate research engineer that has experience in at least some of the following: thermal distillation and steam condensation, membrane technology, pilot-plants design and operation, evaluation and scientific communication of project results, working interdisciplinary and/ or intersectorial collaborations, and project management/ reporting. The person should be flexible to travel to project meetings and to the pilot site in the Basque country. The position offers a collaborative environment in a dynamic research centre and is supervised by Dr Wolfgang Gernjak.
- Designing and coordinating the assembly of a pilot plant for water recovery together with the industrial site owner (project partner).
- Conducting lab trials to support either design or operation of the pilot plant.
- Co-ordinate shipment of manufactured pilot plant to industry site.
- Start-up and experimental planning for pilot
- Participate in the development of specifications for water quality in industrial water recycling in relation to the case studies of the project.
- Participate in the development of assessment frameworks for heat and water recovery in industry.
- Analysis and reporting of project results in technical progress reports and potentially scientific publications.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have – Required
- Experience: A university degree in chemical engineering, environmental engineering, chemistry or other degrees related to the position. At least 3 years professional experience relevant to the present position. Experience obtained during the execution of a technically related doctoral degree will be accepted as suitable work experience.
- Knowledge: High proficiency in oral and written English.
- Skills: Open minded, clear communicator as this position will form part of a multi-institutional project team.
- Design, assembly of pilot-plants
- Start-up, operation and evaluation of industrial pilots
- Previous work in collaborative EC projects.
- Roles in different environments (academic – industry).
- Languages: in addition to the must-have high level of English (see above) as the main project language, Spanish or catalan for easy day-to-day communication at workplace will be evaluated favourably.
- Membrane distillation, steam condensation and operational aspects of these technologies. Alternatively, knowledge on related technologies (e.g. other thermal distillation technologies).
- General knowledge about water treatment technology.
- Water quality, specifically as relevant to process implementation.
- Modelling of water treatment processes.
- Process control algorithms and sensor technology in the broadest sense.
- Knowledge about the steel industry (pipe manufacturing) or ceramics or chemical industry.
- IT skills related to process design or modelling (e.g. design software such as Aspen, Matlab, programming languages such as R).
- Edition of scientific publications and technical reports.
- Project management, specifically time management.
- Good command of Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
Documentation to be submitted:
CV (3 pages max)
Motivation letter (1 page max)
List of 3 references (1 page max)
DNI or NIE (valid and with work permit in Spain). If you do not have a NIE, please attach a statement that you commit to take the necessary steps to obtain a work and residence permit in Spain.
Send the required documents to email@example.com indicating ref. “RE_iWAYS” in the subject of the email.
Deadline for applications:
The deadline to submit the required documentation is January, 24th 2021.
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed by videoconference. References may be consulted.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate shortly after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers' Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.