|JOB OPPORTUNITIES||PREDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (E4H2O)|
DEAD LINE FOR PAPER SUBMISSION
EMAIL TO SEND THE CV
JOB POSITION DESCRIPTION
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Number of positions available: 1
- Expected start: 01/07/2019
- Temporal Position. The position is for 3 years
- Gross Annual Salary package: 15.888,54 €
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
ICRA is offering one PhD position in the scope of the ERC Starting Grant ELECTRON4WATER - Three-dimensional nanoelectrochemical systems based on low-cost reduced graphene oxide: the next generation of water treatment systems (www.electron4water.com), led by Prof. Jelena Radjenovic. The successful applicant will work closely with the postdoctoral fellows and students employed at the project, as well as other researchers at ICRA working in the related fields. The applicant will also be exposed to a multidisciplinary research environment at ICRA, have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, and enjoy collaboration opportunities with ICRA´s international academic and industrial partners.
Successful candidate will receive a one-year contract, renewable every year till maximum 36 months after positive evaluation.
The key objectives of the project are:
- Synthesis of porous nanostructured electrodes for oxidative and reductive destruction of persistent contaminants from water.
- Characterization of the synthesized electrode materials using surface analyses and electrochemical analyses.
- Tuning of the (electro)chemical characteristics and adsorption capacity of the synthesized three-dimensional electrodes to achieve a material with optimum electrocatalytic activity and electrochemical stability.
- Study of the removal of target contaminants such as antibiotics and antibiotic resistance genes from water using the optimized (nano)electrochemical system.
- Set-up and operation of experimental lab-scale reactors for the project tasks.
- Design and execution of well controlled experiments.
- Sample analysis employing advanced gas and liquid chromatography - mass spectrometry (GC and LC-MS).
- Data analysis and compilation in scientific reports and publications.
- As with all PhD students and postdoctoral fellows a small proportion of the time will be allocated to communal services such as joint laboratory cleanings etc.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have – Required
Experience: Applicants should have a degree in environmental engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry or a closely related field with a good track record. Also, MSc in water treatment/technologies, material science, chemistry or related areas is required. The candidates will enrol to the PhD program offered by the University of Girona.
Knowledge: Previous research experience in the experimental research-like activities (e.g. demonstrated in the form of master thesis work) in the field of electrochemistry, material science, advanced oxidation processes, will be considered a plus.
Skills: Excellent English communication skills (both written and spoken) are indispensable for this position. Knowledge of Spanish and/or Catalan will be taken favourably into account.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
The following documentation is required in order to apply for this position. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Motivation letter. Particular emphasis will be placed on the candidate’s written motivation, describing why you are interested in the field/project described and what make you a suitable candidate for this position and project. The selection will be based on the capacity of the applicants to benefit from the training, their ability to collaborate, as well as their creativity, initiative, and independence.
Academic transcript and a short guide to the local grading system, if the applicant is from outside of Spain, and any other aspects considered relevant.
Curriculum Vitae, including work placements and an updated list of academic publications (if any) with their number of citations and journal impact factors.
Contact details of 3 professional referees that can be contacted if the candidate is invited to attend an interview.
Aplications and DeadlineDeadline for applications:
Send the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ref. ‘PreDoc_E4H2O’ in the subject of the email.
The deadline to submit the required documentation is June, 21st 2019.
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers' Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.