|JOB OPPORTUNITIES||POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (PostDoc_waterDOM)|
DEAD LINE FOR PAPER SUBMISSION
EMAIL TO SEND THE CV
JOB POSITION DESCRIPTION
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Number of positions available: 1
- Expected start: September 2021
- Temporal position. The position is for 30 months (approximately)
- Gross salary package: 20.000 to 27.999 - € (to be arranged according to the candidate’s skills)
The present call and the contracting is subject to obtaining the Project Final Resolution and the availability of economic funds and the effective start of the Project.
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
The postdoctoral fellow will work in the “waterDOM” project. “Small-molecule mass spectrometry fingerprinting as a diagnostic tool in water quality surveillance and treatment optimization” (1.09.2021-31.8.2024). The principal investigators are Dr Maria José Farré and Prof Mira Petrovic.
The key objectives in this project and hence also of the scientific work of the postdoctoral fellow are:
1 - Develop novel non-target strategies to fingerprint small molecule dissolved organic matter in the different matrices selected for study (sewage, wastewater effluent, river water and drinking water).
2 - Select and prioritize specific contaminants (excreted contaminants or metabolic products) to be used as human health biomarkers and investigate its correlation with the chemical profile obtained with high resolution mass spectrometry.
3 - Holistically evaluate the effects of water treatment processes and natural buffers on water quality based on target and non-target analysis.
4 - Investigate changes on water sample fingerprints to predict treatment side effects such as formation of disinfection byproducts. Prediction of potential environmental and public health effects related to the emission and uses of the treated water.
- Conduct experiments to pursue the above-mentioned objectives.
- Interpret the obtained results.
- Edit scientific publications to be submitted to leading scientific journals in the field of research.
- As with all PhD students and postdoctoral fellows a small proportion of the time will be allocated to communal services such as joint laboratory maintenance etc.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have – Required
- Experience: A completed PhD degree in analytical chemistry with experience in mass spectrometry. Acknowledging that depending on the country of study considerable time may pass from submitting the thesis to being awarded the degree, a submitted thesis at the time of interview may be considered as satisfactory.
- Knowledge: A high level of written and ideally also spoken Spanish and English are required.
- Skills: Any of the following past research experiences will be judged favourably in the selection process:
- Analytical chemistry (HRMS-orbitrap), specifically non-target analysis
- Data mining, statistics
- Matlab and/or R software knowledge
- Fate of Contaminants of Emerging Concern and or Disinfection by-products
- Dissolved organic matter characterization
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
- Motivation letter
- CV including work placements, academic education including grades and a short guide to the local grading system, if the applicant is from outside of Spain, and any other aspects considered relevant.
- List of academic publications if any
- List of 3 potential references that can be contacted
- DNI or NIE (valid and with work permit in Spain). If you do not have a NIE, please attach a statement that you commit to take the necessary steps to obtain a work and residence permit in Spain.
Aplications and DeadlineDeadline for applications:
Send the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ref. “PostDoc_waterDOM” in the subject of the email.
The deadline to submit the required documentation is August, 20th 2021.
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers' Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.
Basic information on Data Protection
Responsible: Fundació Institut Català de Recerca de l’Aigua (ICRA); Purpose: The selection of candidates for current and future jobs offered by our organization; Rights: You have the right to access, rectify and delete the data, as well as other rights indicated in the additional information; Additional information: You can consult the additional and detailed information on Data Protection on our website: http://www.icra.cat/politica-de-privacidad